Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mommy's Toys

The baby spends lots of time in the kitchen now. We have failed to baby-proof the cabinets and drawers, thus far. And frankly, I don't intend to proof all of them. I like that he can come into the kitchen, open the drawer or cabinet and pull out cans of beans, pineapple and eagle-brand milk, and then boxes and boxes of pasta. I even think it's cute when he plays with an acorn squash as if it were a ball. I am amused by his interest in cookie cutters, bowls, little tartlet pans, the funnels, the tongs, and the whisk for the blender.

I do not like him eating the cheesecloth. I am fearful that he will pull the stack of ten graduated glass bowls out of the cabinet with as much force and abandon as he pulls the spatulas and plastic lids. I don't think he's old enough to play with the plastic wrap, not just because of the suffocation hazard, but also the finger-slicing cutting strip on the corner of the box. And definitely, certainly, without a doubt, the under-the-sink/chemical cabinets should be off limits. So I'm hoping this weekend we get baby-proofing gear installed in the cabinets and drawers in sink and kitchen. And then the baby will be so mad when he can't get Mommy's Toys anymore. I'll have to take a picture!

Caption - "Don't do it, Mommy. Please don't lock the cabinets!"

3 comments:

  1. Emm had a drawer in the kitchen in Virginia. She kept all her little toys in it, and would climb into it and sit down and play with those toys. It was very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he'd really enjoy a drawer to sit in. Perhaps I will find him a toybox like we used to have, with the lid and the seat and the desk part and all that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was a rather handy toybox/bench/desk. i remember smashing my fingers in it often, though.

    ReplyDelete